Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Cookie Project: Tood (aka Sister Todd aka Mike)

(sung to the tune of Coconut by Harry Nilsson)

I need to find a recipe
For coconut and lime
But it has to be a quick one
For I’m low on time

I’ll take a lime and some coconut
And mix them both up
I’ll take a lime and some coconut
And mix them both up

I said, Cookbook, can you tell me what to bake
I said, COOKBOOK, I want cookies not cake
I said, Cookbook, can you tell me what to make
I said, COOKBOOK, for Tood and not for Jake

PERFECT! Lime Coconut Snowballs!

lime-coconut-snowballs

Whenever I think of Tood, I fondly remember him singing this song passionately at karaoke for his birthday. That moment on loop in my mind best exemplifies his soul. Plus he enjoys a good no-bake cookie, so that was a bit of a bonus.

I modified Cooking Light’s recipe for Key Lime Coconut Snowballs. I used regular limes rather than key limes, and I cut out the additional sugar so the lime and coconut flavor would shine through. I also increased the size, which kinda defeats the “cooking light” purpose, but a low-fat cookie wasn’t my intention. I think the result suits Tood, although next time I’d double the recipe. Tood’s a growing boy!

Tood’s Lime Coconut Snowballs
2/3 c. graham cracker crumbs (smashed in a Ziploc baggie)
6 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk (nonfat)
1 tsp. grated lime rind
Fresh lime juice from 3 ½ limes
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. shredded unsweetened coconut, divided (I used Bob’s Red Mill)

Mix the graham cracker crumbs, condensed milk, rind, juice, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add 2/3 c. coconut and beat with a mixer at medium speed for about 1 minute. I used a stand mixer, but a hand mixer would work perfectly. Cover and chill for 20-30 minutes.

Shape mixture into balls, about 1 tablespoon each. Place remaining 1/3 c. in a shallow bowl or a pie tin. Roll balls in coconut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are my favourite cookies!