Saturday, March 17, 2007

Blind Tiger Has Risen



Blind Tiger Ale House was always one of my favorite beer bars. There was no better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than free bagels and a tasty brew off of their extensive draught list. However, very little in Manhattan seems to stay the same, and Blind Tiger soon found itself with an expired lease, being replaced by yet another Starbucks.

Luckily, they found a new space right around the corner (on Bleecker across from John's Pizzeria), but their troubles were far from over. Despite their pedigree as a fine beer bar, the State Liquor Authority denied their liquor license in their new location. Blind Tiger decided to turn lemons into coffee, and opened anyway as a coffee shop and eatery while they awaited the ok from SLA. A long, LONG struggle ensued, and last week, lo and behold, they finally got their license!



Blind Tiger opened its doors at 4pm last Thursday, but being a working girl, I was only able to show up at about 6pm. I knew it would be busy, but I had little idea just how packed it would be. I edged my way in, thanking the heavens for making me so small and compact, and ordered a Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball. Q joined me, as did one of other friends, and they had a celebratory drink as well. The beer was delicious, the wooden beams were beautiful, and Q almost got into fisticuffs with a gentleman who had too many. All was right with the world.




I had wanted to sample the food, but it was really way too crowded. We enjoyed our drinks and squeezed ourselves out of the bar. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get to experience more that they had to offer, but at least I have the reassuring knowledge that I'll be back.

No comments: